This website contains adult material and is only suitable for those 18 years or older. Click Enter only if you are at least 18 years of age.or Exit
By Nancy R. Fernandez
Parkinson's disease is a chronic condition that affects the central nervous system of the body, causing stiffness and reduced cognition development. The condition progresses over time and causes tremors, motion and speech impairment in severe cases.
Related article: Medical Marijuana Benefits and Best Strains for Seniors
Parkinson's disease has been among the most challenging disease for treatment. There is a mixture of motor and non-motor symptoms that affect day to day lives significantly. Most of the existing medication only act as a way of controlling the symptoms, whereas a permanent solution to treat the problem is yet to reach us. This uncertainty stands as a primary reason behind why people from across the world suffering from this disease are showing interest in the area of medical Marijuana.
Related article: How effective medical marijuana is in treating autism?
Medical marijuana has been a hot topic in recent times and almost every day new discoveries about the medical benefits of this plant are showing up. We can expect better acceptability towards the use of medical marijuana as a treatment for various ailments following successful with clinical trials.
Also, legalization from across the world has favoured more research and increased approachability to this method of therapy. The best online dispensary Canada offer quality medical marijuana prescribed for ailments such as chronic pain, depression etc. With positive feedbacks flooding the internet about medical marijuana, patients suffering from Parkinson's disease are currently curious about the same.
The efficiency of these treatments concluded from patient feedbacks gives a ray of hope for people suffering from Parkinson's disease. Can medical cannabis be the solution they have been waiting for?
1. It binds with the endocannabinoid receptors enabling natural healing: The endocannabinoid system in the brain is made up of cannabinoid receptors. While the body naturally produces cannabinoids to carry off various functions introducing a phytocannabinoid can increase the speed and efficiency of natural functions of this system. A compound called CBD present in Cannabis is a Phytocannabinoid and thus it helps in enhancing healing effects by probing the endocannabinoid system of the body.
2. Cannabis has neuroprotective properties: Cannabinoids are under study for their neuroprotective properties. Unlike the common idea that marijuana causes damage to brain cells that were persistent from many years now, researchers have proven that Cannabis, in fact, protects the brain cells from inappropriate cell death.
THC and CBD in combination help reduce cell deaths caused due to the presence of excess iron in the body. This is favorable for patients suffering from Parkinson's disease who share that they experience lower frequency of tremors after using Cannabis. A study is currently under progress to prove the tolerability as well as the efficacy of cannabidiol for tremors in Parkinson's disease. Another study hints that Cannabis could potentially help treat neurodegenerative diseases also.
SAVING NOTE: Use discount code "30offcbd" for 30% off your first order from our online CBD store; GoodyCBD.
3. It can control the symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease: Cannabinoids are topic of study to understand their effect on the various symptoms of Parkinson disease such as bradykinesia which is the slowness observed in patients with the disease or Dyskinesia which is excess movement. A noteworthy study involved a randomized placebo-controlled trial, where the subjects were given capsules with nabilone which improved dyskinesia in 7 people. While there is no strong clinical evidence to back its effectiveness, certain users share their experience of betterment in these symptoms after use of Cannabis.
4. It can help with secondary symptoms of the disease: Anxiety, fatigue, daytime sleepiness, mood swings, pain etc, are secondary symptoms observed in patients suffering from Parkinson's disease.
A study involved 13 patients with a UPDRS score of 2 or above. The patients underwent a 31 –day treatment of varying dosages of 5,7.5,10,15 and 20 mg/kg/day of Cannabidiols with highest dosages directed towards the last few days. 7 out of the group completed the test successfully and showed improved motor skills as well as decreased UPDRS score thus pointing out the efficiency of Cannabis in treating secondary effects. The substance has anti-inflammatory properties and interacts with the receptors to relax and calm the body and mind. It helps relieve pain even in chronic cases and is especially effective for treating anxiety without side effects.
It can help with secondary symptoms of the disease: Anxiety, fatigue, daytime sleepiness, mood swings, pain etc, are secondary symptoms observed in patients suffering from Parkinson's disease.
5. The right dosages and strains will reduce side effects: Use of Cannabis is all about getting a grip of the right dosages. There are no clinically approved dosage levels yet that can be prescribed for the condition. But the CBD or cannabidiol component plays an important role in relieving the symptoms and hence use of strains higher in CBD concentration would be the right way to go about. This will also keep any psychoactive effects away from the body and treat the symptoms associated with the disease effectively.
Always start with mild doses of 2-3 mg/kg/day and observe the effects it has before you increase. Use of the best Khalifa kush strain can help with symptoms such as insomnia, anxiety, pain etc, aid in the treatment.
One of the greatest features of Medical cannabis is unlike existing medications or treatments you are never stuck with one method of consumption. There are various means of introducing Cannabis to your body such as through oil, edibles, teas, waxes, extracts, topicals, pills, etc.
Legalized states offer medical cannabis at dispensaries where you can purchase these products. You can ask for an application from your doctor to obtain a medical marijuana card and harness the benefits of the same.
Parkinson's disease has been a sensitive area for research with medical cannabis. The reason behind the same is that impairment in decision making and planning is common among patients suffering from the disease. Given this condition harms the executive functions of the brain researchers find using Cannabis which has psychoactive properties to be a risk. And given the strains of marijuana and quality cannot be consistent the effects may not be the same for everyone. Some people share that they had bad episodes of hallucinations, dizziness, and nausea after using Cannabis which are the possible side effects of using this therapy.
Another issue that is slowly getting solved is the fact that much of the conclusions available so far are based on self- reporting which is not the case of common pills. Currently, there are various methods for monitoring and determining right dosages based on observed effects for these pills whereas the same cannot be applicable for Medical Marijuana.
Hence, understanding the potency of Cannabis as a therapy is tricky compared to existing medications. The efficiency of the treatment on motor and non-motor skills are also yet to be analyzed as so far the studies have shared mixed reviews in regard to the same.
Legalization has currently eased the regulations in certain states to enhance the opportunity of research and trails to explore Cannabis as a treatment for the disease. Parkinson's disease so far has no cure and only medications to help cope with symptoms. With strong clinical evidence to prove the effectiveness of Medical Marijuana, the healthcare industry could witness the breakthrough they have been looking for. It could become a potential treatment option for the disease following evidence to back up its safety and efficacy.
Author Bio: Nancy is a blogger who loves to write especially in the Cannabis vertical. She has written many informative blogs in other verticals too.
Comments will be approved before showing up.