What is Weed? How is it beneficial?
Are you interested in weeds and their uses? In simple words, weed is the street name of marijuana. There are different kinds of weeds available in the market. You can also get weed delivered to your doorstep from Black Rabbit Weed Delivery (in Canada).
Marijuana, CBD, hemp, and Kratom are all different types of cannabis. Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica are the two most famous families. It is one of the most abused drugs of all time.
Cannabis plants can give you a euphoric feeling, and people love it. But these drugs also possess the potential for addiction. Teenagers and young adults often misuse it and get addicted. For these reasons, a lot of states have strict laws against marijuana and other cannabis plants. But there are also benefits of using weed. If you want to know how weed is beneficial for us, keep reading.
What is Weed?
As previously said, all weeds are cannabis plants, either Cannabis Sativa or Cannabis Indica. There are also hybrid weeds available in the market, a mixed version of both Sativa and Indica. Weed contains many cannabinoids. The intoxicating effect of weeds is the courtesy of delta-9 THC. Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC has mind-altering effects, and it can make you high. But some cannabis also has therapeutic properties. People have been using these plants for hundreds of years. Weed is the dried leaves, flowers, or seeds of cannabis plants.
According to the usage, there are two kinds of weeds, Medical marijuana and recreational marijuana.
Cannabis plants have some therapeutic benefits. CBD and even THC help treat some life-threatening diseases. Medical marijuana is an ordinary cannabis strain, but only if a doctor recommends you to take it.
Recreational marijuana is the cannabis strain which you take strictly for enjoyment, not for medicinal properties. Generally, they have higher THC content than medical marijuana.
Medical marijuana is legal in most states of the US. But we cannot say the same about recreational marijuana. As per the 2018 farm bill, hemp-derived CBD, which contains less than 0.3% THC, is legal in the United States.
Benefits of using weed
- Works as an analgesic: Cannabinoids work as an analgesic or natural pain reliever. It can block the brain signals that cause us the feeling of being in pain. So, it helps reduce chronic pain like migraines, arthritis, joint pain, fibromyalgia, and endometriosis. It can also reduce the pain of chemotherapy or other cancer-related pain. Medical marijuana can replace opioids which have harmful side effects if used for a long time. But remember, it just works as a painkiller; it does not cure the cause of the pain. You have to see a doctor and find out the reason behind your pain and treat it.
- Opioid and alcohol addiction: It may come as a surprise to you that marijuana can help patients with alcohol and opioid dependency. Given that marijuana also has the potential to be addictive and misused, this is a bit controversial. But many studies say that using medical marijuana in a controlled way can help fight other addictions. Switching up alcohol and other drugs with cannabis is an intellectual way to fight addiction. Marijuana has its risks, but it is still safer than alcohol.
- Helps fight anxiety and depression: Medical marijuana relieves stress and boosts your mood. It helps you fight anxiety and depression. Some cannabis has neuroprotective effects, which help fight different neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease, social anxiety disorder (SAD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), etc. It calms your mind and relaxes your muscles. Some cannabis has the effect, which makes you more people-friendly and talkative. Medical marijuana also boosts your memory and helps with Alzheimer’s disease. But it has not shown any improvement in medical conditions like psychosis and bipolar disorder.
- Treats Epilepsy: Most cannabis products are not FDA-approved. But in 2018, the food and drug association or FDA of the United States approved a CBD-based drug Epidolex, for treating Epilepsy. CBD is an active compound present in cannabinoids; it is non-psychoactive. Dravet’s syndrome is a kind of Epilepsy, where the patient suffers from prolonged, repetitive, and potentially lethal seizures. A child with Dravet’s syndrome showed improvements. The frequency and severity of the Seizures significantly reduced after using CBD. After research and clinical trials, FDA approved the drug. Now doctors prescribe Epidolex for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, two severe types of Epilepsy.
- Helps you sleep better: Sleep is essential for every one of us. It provides the necessary rest and helps gather up energy for the next day. A peaceful night of sleep can improve both your physical and mental health. But when you are feeling stressed or anxious, it becomes difficult to fall and stay asleep. We often suffer from insomnia due to stress. Medicinal marijuana eliminates the negative thoughts from your mind, calms your mind, and helps you relax. It also helps with snoring problems and improves REM sleep. A good night’s sleep increases your productivity the next day.
- Helps people with ADHD/ADD: Nowadays, many children have Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is a neurodevelopmental disorder in children. The kids face difficulty focusing or paying attention and often behave impulsively. Sometimes, the problems also persist in adults. Cannabis has been proven helpful in improving focus. It helps people to control themselves and center their focus. Though cannabis may not be an ideal solution, it is still a better option than Adderall and Ritalin and has lesser side effects. Cannabis also provides relief to patients with multiple sclerosis.
What are the Side Effects of Marijuana
Marijuana may have some therapeutic benefits but not without side effects; most of them are mild. It possesses opioid-like effects, but it is less addictive than those drugs. These are the reasons the authority is considering the legalization again. Here are some common side effects of using marijuana listed below.
- You may feel some mild hallucinations. After using cannabis, do not use heavy machinery or drive. It can be dangerous. Even if marijuana is legal in your state, driving after using marijuana is not.
- Sometimes, you can feel a bit down or depressed after using cannabis. These effects are similar to the after-effects of alcohol.
- It may cause some stimulating effects like rapid breathing, hyperactivity, high blood pressure, etc.
- Appetite changes
- Dry mouth
- Bloodshot eyes
So, marijuana has both benefits and side effects. Without more research and studies, we cannot say much about how it affects public health.