By Ayad Maher
Germinating your marijuana seeds simply means when the marijuana plant begins to grow from one seed. Which is the first step to start growing your weed, or technically the second step after building your grow room. Or you can do them simultaneously since before can take the same time to excuse and complete.
Where to get your cannabis seeds from? (Seed Banks That Ship to USA)
Marijuana seed can be obtained from many sources (online and offline), the quality and the and genetic diversity can vary based on where you're getting the cannabis seeds from. I think online is your best bet. There are many reliable outlets sell high quality seeds, here is list of seed banks that ship to USA, The Best Online Seed Bank for Feminized Seeds in the industry.
Mature Cannabis Seeds, This Is What You Need to Do
Once you get your marijuana seeds, you will want to check if they're matured. Matured marijuana seeds shell tends to be very hard, darker brown or deep tan, with lighter accents (stripes). If they look fresh and green, it means they didn't reach full maturity, they're pretty much useless.
Germinate Your Marijuana Seeds
Before you plant the seeds, you need to germinate your cannabis seed, and to do so, you will need three main things; water, heat, and air, like every living being on earth. However, there are particular couple of steps method you will have to implement. There are actually more than one method, but the following one, paper towel germination method, is the most common one, it's also very simple. Here is what you need:
- Clean plate, and another one to be used as a cover
- Paper towels
- Marijuana Seeds
First: Soak 6 paper towels sheets in a distilled water.
Second: Take 3 of the soaked sheets and put them on the plate.
Third: Put the marijuana seeds on the soaked sheets, each seed should be an inch or more apart from the one next to it.
Fourth: Cover the marijuana seeds with the remaining 3 of the soaked sheets.
Fifth: Now, you need to create a dark environment for the seeds, you can take another plate (the same size) and flip it over to cover the seeds/paper towel sandwich.
Fifth, and finally: As for how long to germinate seeds in paper towel; just give it some time. Germination period is different from a seed to another. Some seeds germinate quickly, others can last for days.
Check your germinating marijuana seeds at least once a day. Once they splits, you will see a single sprout (tap root) coming out (see the picture below), you will know that your beloved cannabis seeds are germinated successfully, and it's time to move them into a pot and straight to your grow room.
Related article: How to Build the Perfect Indoor Grow Room (For up to 6 Plants)
Important tips to ensure successful germination for the marijuana seeds:
- Keep the seeds in a warm environment, between 70-77°F.
- Make sure to keep the paper towels sheets soaked all the time. If them seem like they're getting dry, simply add some distill water to keep the sheets saturated.
- Open the plate's only once a day to check the progress.
- As the seeds begin to split, do not, I repeat, DO NOT touch the seeds or the tap root. It's very important to keep this area clean and sterile.
Moving Your Germinated Seed to A Pot
Due to the limited root system the germinated seeds have, best practice is to plant the germinated seeds in a small containers which will help to increase the plants' accessibility to oxygen and nutrients, then transport them to a bigger container when they start developing a larger root system (once they hit the seedling stage).
Here is what you need to do:
- A small 2 inches pot for each germinated seed will be sufficient for now.
- The soil you will be putting in the pot shouldn't be dense. Tt has to be rather loose and airy.
- Dig a 1/2 inch hole in the middle of the pot using a pen, and drop the germinated seed in it (tap root faces down). Make sure to transfer the germinated seed gently and carefully, I usually avoid using my hands to move the seeds, pair of tweezers would do the job.
- Lightly cover the hole/seed with soil (enough to block the light without obstructing the seedling when it emerges).
- Now, add a little bit of water; make sure the soil still cover the seed after watering it
Final Steps - Marijuana Plant Seedling Stage
- Place the small pot(s) in your grow room, and turn the fluorescent lamp on. As for how much light should seedlings get; the seeds don't need the light at this point, but they immediately do once they pop out of the soil. Having the light on and waiting for the plant will assist the young plant to develop better and faster - You can leave the fluorescent lamp close to the surface (couple of inches away) from the plant since florescent lights don't emit a lot of heat.
- The temperature should be around 73 degrees at all times.
- As for humidity, 60-70%
- When you water the pots where you planted your seeds, you want to make sure giving them just the right amount of water without over saturating the soil, which may cause suffocating the sprouts and kill it. Using a spray bottle can do the job; spray the soil surface every few hours with water to stop it drying out.
- In 3 to 7 days, you should start seeing the first signs of your newly born cannabis plant.
- Once you see the first sprouts; have your fluorescent lamp 18 hours on, 6 hours off intervals.
- In 3 to 4 weeks, the cannabis plant should be around 4 inches high, which is big enough to be moved to a bigger pot; The Vegetative Stage!
Ayad Maher is a Cannabis Industry Entrepreneur, Blogger & Activist. eCommerce Specialist and Owner of a 420 Life Style Company; Monroe Blvd and 421Store.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.